God is Bigger Than Your World
Outside the Box Church Week #2
Pastor Kris Freeman
Sunday, June 11, 2017
Scripture: Ephesians 3:20-21 and 1 Corinthians 2:9 (NLT)
Ephesians 3:20-21 (NLT)
20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.
1 Corinthians 2:9 (NLT)
9 That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.”
Last week, we discussed the magnificence and the intimacy of God, and how to make sure not to contain or limit his greatness in the church and how we structure our place in His kingdom.
In week two of #OutsideTheBox, we examine the DEPTH and the EXPANSE of the world God created.
Principles which have been questioned about the world God created:
1. How big and expansive is the universe?
2. Was the earth the only place where human form exists?
3. Creation or evolution?
4. Was the world flat?
5. Why are there different races of people, and where did we all originate?
When we consider “big world” questions, there are two dangers that limit our answer to God’s call to a kingdom-minded mission:
· Problem 1 – We are INTIMIDATED by what we cannot comprehend.
· Problem 2 – We are LIMITED by what we cannot reach.
This was a BIBLICAL problem too!
1. There was racism during Bible times caused by difference and lack of understanding
2. There was classism in Bible times caused by demographics and poverty
3. There was elitism in Bible times caused by education and power
4. There was activism in Bible times caused by zealots and politics
The issues we face rarely CHANGE, but the question is, will the CHURCH change to meet the issues? Our methods are often a direct result of a limited MISSION.
The writer of both letters in today’s scriptures is the Apostle Paul. He was a MISSIONARY to the Gentiles (the non-Jews). When Jesus died, he established a new FAMILY and it is our job to make sure everyone can be a part of it. PEOPLE MATTER!!!
At Revolution Church, we want you to understand the Live.Love.Serve. mission and how it relates to expanding our outreach.
1. We will not exclude a demographic based on differences.
2. We will not be intimidated by those who have big questions about faith.
3. We will not be trapped by short-sighted mission.
a. Don’t fall into the pit of making the argument against international missions that is both prejudicial and hateful
b. “Why should we go when there’s much to do here?”
c. THERE’S MUCH TO DO EVERYWHERE!
4. We will not be limited by impossible resources when we serve a possible God!
Bust the outreach myths!
· I’m not called to that – but you are called to SOMETHING!
· We’ve never done it that way before!
· “Church people won’t like it”
· I can’t afford it
· I just need to work on me
Discipleship IS IMPORTANT.
You cannot lead others until you are committed to lead yourself. But you cannot lead yourself until you are truly submissive to love God and love others AS you love yourself!
1 Corinthians 3:6-8 (NLT)
6 I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. 7 It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work.