Friday, March 24, 2017
What Matters Most (03.26.17 Notes)
#TheBestYes Week Four
March 26, 2017
Pastor Zack Parker
Scripture: 1 Timothy 3:1-5, 8
• If Family matters most, I ask, do you give the most for your family?
1 Timothy 3:1-5
3 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Therefore an overseer[a] must be above reproach, the husband of one wife,[b] sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive,5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?
1 Timothy 5:8
8 But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
Spiritual Leader of Household
23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.
- It starts with your spouse – Must be the example setters for your children.
- The closer you get to God the closer you get to each other.
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
- Meaning typically a child whose parents dedicate him or her to the right path through careful training will continue in that way to old age. This vers stresses parental opportunity and duty, encouraging parents to do their part by raising their children well.
- Our children need to be well rooted and grounded into the word of God. Our world is brutal and they need to know just as we do, that we find our identity in our relationship with Christ and not things of this world.
Statistics regarding teens
- By 8th grade 30% of kids have tried drinking alcohol.
- 58% of sophomores have abused alcohol.
- 71% of high schoolers have used alcohol.
- Almost 50% of high school seniors have abused a drug of some kind.
- By 8th grade 15% of kids have used marijuana.
- 43% of high school seniors have used marijuana.
- Over 60% of teens report that drugs of some kind are kept, sold, and used at their school.
- In 2013 47% of high school students were involved in sexual intercourse.
- 80% of teens leave the church after they graduate high school.
a) Schedule it and don’t allow this time to be interrupted.
b) Quality over quantity
- Be Present
a) You have to be more than just there physically.
- Be Intentional
a) Don’t just go through the motions.
b) Is there purpose behind your time and what you are doing?