Wednesday, April 27, 2016

04.17.16 Notes (GoodNews Week 15)

#GOODNEWS Week 15
The Gospel of John #3
“Jesus Prayed For You”
Pastor Kris Freeman
Revolution Church

John 17:20-26 NLT
20 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. 21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. 24 Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!
25 “O righteous Father, the world doesn’t know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. 26 I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them.”

The Lord’s Prayer was Jesus TEACHING how to pray.
The prayer of Jesus in John 17 is a prayer of INTERCESSION .

Four ways Jesus prayed in the “high priestly” prayer of John 17:

1. He prayed for God’s will in himself (John 17:1-8)
2. He prayed for his disciples/followers (John 17:9-19)
3. He prayed for YOU (John 17:20-26)

On the doorstep of the most important thing in Jesus earthly life, he PRAYED.

What should this teach us about prayer? PRAY about EVERYTHING .

Always be joyful, never stop praying, be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. – 1 Thess. 5:16-18
Don’t worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. Then, you will experience God’s peace which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. – Colossians 4:2
And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. – 1 John 5:14
Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come. – Jeremiah 33:3
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for, but the Holy Spirit prays for us with groaning that cannot be expressed in words. – Romans 8:26
In my distress I prayed to the Lord, and the Lord answered me and set me free. – Psalm 118:5
But I say, love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you. – Matthew 5:44
Hear my prayers, O Lord, listen to my plea. Answer me because you are faithful and righteous. – Psalm 143:1
So let us come boldly unto the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. – Hebrews 4:16

Four levels (goals) to the prayer of Jesus:

1. That you might be HIS (kept 11-16)
2. That you might be SET APART (sanctified 17-19)
3. That you might be TOGETHER (united 20-23)
4. That you might be HOLY (glorified 24-26)

“All our communion with God, the reception of his love to us with our return of love to him again, passes through the hands of the Lord Jesus, and the comfort of it is owing purely to him.” – Matthew Henry (commentary, John 17)

This prayer had to end – but what happens through it lives forever!

#PRAY

No comments:

Post a Comment