Monday, November 20, 2017

The Vow of Partnership (11.19.17 Notes)

“The Vow of Partnership”
#TheVow Week 3
Pastor Kris and Jen Freeman
Revolution Church
Sunday, November 19, 2017

Scripture: Psalm 133:1-3 (NLT)

Psalm 133 - A psalm of David. 1 
How wonderful and pleasant it is when brothers live together in harmony! 2 
For harmony is as precious as the anointing oil that was poured over Aaron’s head, that ran down his beard and onto the border of his robe. 3 Harmony is as refreshing as the dew from Mount Hermon that falls on the mountains of Zion. And there the Lord has pronounced his blessing, even life everlasting. 

Remember, in this series, we are learning the vows to God and to our spouse.
  1. The Vow of Priority
  2. The Vow of Pursuit
  3. The Vow of Partnership

  1. I promise that God will be my first priority and my spouse will be my second.
  2. I promise that I will always pursue my two.
  3. I promise our marriage will be about WE and not ME.

Echad (ekh-awd) - united, completely joined as one (Matthew 19:4-6)

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, let no one SEPARATE.

Marriage is a COVENANT not just. CONTRACT.

1. A contract is based on mutual DISTRUST

Wait - shouldn’t that be trust? No! The reason we have contracts is because a HANDSHAKE agreement in life is no longer trustworthy enough. People make contracts to make sure they don’t get VIOLATED.

A contract is:
    • A protection from being done wrong
    • Only as good as far as you’re “in” on the terms

2. A covenant is based on mutual AGREEMENT

A mutual commitment is not a contractural partnership - a contract is a percentage. Covenant is not a percentage. It’s not 50-50. It’s 100% from both sides!

Marriage is not dividing everything in HALF, it’s giving ALL you have.

I have good news! People make marriage mistakes, but marital mistakes are not the unpardonable sin! You don’t have to divide, you can work on this TOGETHER!

3. Covenant partnership is summarized with Godly LEADERSHIP and mutual SUBMISSION

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Eph. 5:21)

In a relationship, it’s very common for one person who is naturally dominant and one is naturally passive. Can this relationship work TOGETHER? What if the relationship is based on two people with mutual personalities?

If we have two visions, we have DIVISION in our marriage!

  • Your marriage will be as good as you both decide it will be!
  • Your marriage is not measured by your feelings, it’s measured by your commitment!

How many other areas of life are you allowed to make the excuse that you don’t feel like it?
    • I’m not going to feed my kids, I don’t feel like it
    • I’m not going to work, I don’t feel like it
    • I’m not going to pay my taxes, I don’t feel like it
    • I’m not going to exercise, I don’t feel like it
    • I’m not going to clean my house, I don’t feel like it
If you don’t feel like working on your marriage, you will actually DESTROY it.

Your marriage isn’t based on feeling, it should be based on commitment. Feelings follow commitment.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. (Eph 5:22-24)

#TheVow


Find the Bible reading plan for this series by searching “The Vow” on YouVersion!

No comments:

Post a Comment