Monday, November 27, 2017

The Vow of Prayer (11.26.17 Notes)

“The Vow of Prayer”
#TheVow Week 4
Pastor Kris Freeman
Revolution Church
Sunday, November 26, 2017

Scripture: Genesis 3:7-10 (NLT)

Genesis 3:7-10 New Living Translation (NLT)
7 At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.
8 When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man[a] and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden. So they hid from the Lord God among the trees. 9 Then the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”
10 He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.”

Remember, in this series, we are learning the vows to God and to our spouse.
  1. The Vow of Priority
  2. The Vow of Pursuit
  3. The Vow of Partnership
  4. The Vow of Purity/Prayer

  1. I promise that God will be my first priority and my spouse will be my second.
  2. I promise that I will always pursue my two.
  3. I promise our marriage will be about WE and not ME.
  4. I promise to CONFIDE in you and not HIDE from you.

For you were once in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. (Ephesians 5:8)

You will never find healing in the DARK. Shame grows fastest in the dark, but the light brings life and healing.

How to find healing:

  1. Confess to the right PLACE
  2. Commit to the right PEOPLE
  3. Construct the right PATH

How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart, do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:9-11)

The path to intimacy is paved with PRAYER.

1. Replace your TEMPTATIONS with better COMMUNICATIONS.

Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)

But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. (1 John 1:9)

Prayer is the communication CHANNEL between you and God, but can also be the key to intimacy with you and your SPOUSE.

Secrecy is the enemy of intimacy.

2. Seek God - a PASSIONATE pleasing God! 

He is a God of SECOND CHANCES not a God of SHAME!

Jesus came, so that we are not under the law, but under grace. We have a responsibility not to sin, but we also have a restoration when we do!

The word buwsh (boosh) means to be ashamed, to be completely worthless.

But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were sinners. (Romans 5:8)

You are not worthless, but God is WORTHY! Let’s flip the script and remember the covenant!

#TheVow


Find the Bible reading plan for this series by searching “The Vow” on YouVersion!

No comments:

Post a Comment